You know what's hard? Explaining to your four year old why women have babies and why men don't.

You know what's harder? Then explaining to your four year old how it's possible that she "heard on the news that there is a man who took a bunch of medicines and is going to have a baby."

Despite all my years working with adult sex offenders, mental health issues, and accepting people's choices that may differ from my own, I never really imagined myself having to have a frank discussion in four year old vernacular about sex change operations and gender identity disorder. It's just one of those things for which you've never really prepared.

The Dormouse, unphased by the whole thing said, matter-of-fact-ly, "Momma, I don't think I'd like to have that surgery because... I enjoy being a girl."

Glad to have the subject closed, I absentmindedly said, "Hey, that's a song."

"What's a song, Momma?"

"I Enjoy Being a Girl."

So she made me sing it to her. Now she's spent the entire evening singing it back to me... over and over again.

I think I'd like to go back to the sex change discussion now.