Things my daughter and I did not do while my husband was out of town this weekend:

  • Eat every meal in front of the television
  • Watch the end of the movie that I was pretty sure he hadn't yet seen and send it back
  • Declare Saturday "Pajama Day" and not get dressed until 4:00 pm
  • Wonder if his plane had gone down or he'd crashed the rental car because I hadn't heard from him after he landed, but then keep forgetting to call and find out
  • Take down the Christmas lights... on Saturday... in pajamas
  • Allow more than a few people at church to suspect that I didn't really know where he was and there might be problems in our marriage when they asked about his absence
  • Lie diagonally across the bed to sleep
  • Sleep with the bedroom window open
  • Drink milk from wine glasses
  • Refuse to go to the grocery store even though there was only mustard, orange juice and a tub of butter in the fridge
  • Stay up until two am watching Living with the Kombai Tribe on the Travel Channel
  • Sleep from two am to four am while Sweeney Todd played on the DVD player
  • Go to a conference and drink warm Nacho Cheese through a straw on a dare
  • Help my daughter make cookies "for Daddy" and then eat half of them
  • Miss my husband despite the wonderful fact that I had the house to myself while he was gone