If there was ever a difference between my two children, it can be best described by this picture and this picture alone:

We took the whole fam-damily to the movies on Saturday (Land of the Lost, but that's another blog post) and then had lunch afterward. There are so many outdoor malls that have these types of fountains around the area now and I knew we'd be near one at some point during the day, so I packed extra clothing and a towel just in case. Turns out it was a good idea. Although here's a tip: when you pack extra clothing, make sure you put all the clothing in the bag because if you don't, you will be faced with the dilemma of letting your baby run around in just a diaper in public making you look even more trashy than you are or putting the big girl's shirt on the baby and running into a nearby store and buying something for the older one to wear.

Both my girls are very outgoing, social children. But there's a big difference between their approaches. The Dormouse runs headfirst through the doorway of life without waiting to find out whether or not that doorway might be a mirror, or on the seventh floor of a building or perhaps a painting on the side of a mountain put there by a clever road runner to thwart her efforts (but it wouldn't matter anyway, because she'd just leave a Dormouse-shaped hole in that mountain).

The Caterpillar, is just as interested in every- and anything, but she prefers instead to check it out first. Walk around the outside, peer through the door a couple of times, stick her head in for a second and pull it back out, and then maybe, just maybe, but only if she's ready, step through the doorway and take a gander at what's really on the other side. She participates in life, but prefers to start off as the onlooker; at least at first.



As I sat on the steps near this fountain on Saturday, I watched my two children and their different styles of being, and was simply fascinated by the truism of what I observed.

The Dormouse:

The Caterpillar:
(it's hard to play in the fountain with only one leg - click to embiggen)

Dormouse:

Caterpillar:

Dormouse:

Caterpillar:
(I love the look on her face here - you have to enlarge to see it.)

Dormouse:
(I'm so thrilled I got this shot right, I cannot begin to tell you - click to embiggen for full effect)

Caterpillar:

Dormouse:

Caterpillar:

Dormouse:

Caterpillar:

Oh, how I love these two girls.


The Dormouse:
The Caterpillar: