Back to Salt Lake today, and I know this blog has been treading dangerously close to that line of come over to my house and look at these slides of photos from my vacation as of late. (Treading, who am I kidding? This blog has stomped all over that line.)  I hate it as much as you do.  But truth be told, I have pretty much only one friend and she doesn't want to see them either.  So, here you go.

We had brunch at the Lion House in Salt Lake the last day we were there because the KingofHearts had never had one of their famous rolls and I figured there are just some experiences in life one shouldn't miss.  And now, after our eating there once, he's had that experience several times.  Toldya they were good.  The Shortlings enjoyed the spread and the incredibly nice employees there and they insisted I photograph it.  It may not be a, splendid presentation, but yummy, nonetheless.


The Lion House and the The Beehive House are two of the first residences in Salt Lake City and where Brigham Young (who founded the city) lived from 1855 to 1877.  Now, most of it is a museum, and the lower floor is a cafeteria that specializes in recipes that would have been similar to what was actually served when the Youngs lived there. (Or at least similar-ish.)  I'd taken the tour through the houses several times, but the rest of the family hadn't, so we took a look around.  These aren't great photos, taken on my phone, but here are a couple of details from the house The Shortlings enjoyed. 

Brigham Young's hat and cane.  As I understand it, this is the cane her thrust into the ground when he looked out over the Salt Lake Valley and said, "This is the place."  But now that I think about it, he probably had a lot of canes in his time, so maybe this wasn't that exact cane, but rather just a cane he owned.

There is some really amazing woodwork in these buildings.

Brigham's daughter Clarissa's wedding dress.  The Dormouse was especially enamored by this.  Me too, but for me it was more because I couldn't believe how tiny she was.

Loved the shadows the old style light fixtures throw on the walls.