If it's not been readily apparent, I've kind of sucked at Camp Sweatshop this summer. I'm way too overloaded with work to plan anything when I don't have to entertain my children and then when they're home staring me in the face, I'm woefully unprepared. It was nice to take a few days off last week to go camping, but in order to do that, I had to work two weekend days and two holiday days just so I could take three days off later. I'm not so sure that makes taking a vacation worth it.

So for the last day of my ahem... "vacation," I took the kids on a road trip. We had to take The KnaveofHearts to the summer camp he's attending and The KingofHearts was in a training that couldn't be rescheduled. It was about a three and a half hour drive away, so I planned on bringing the shortlings, hitting a Waffle House because The Knave had never been to one before and wanted to see what all the fuss was about, dropping TheKnave off, then taking our time getting back. It'd be a girls' day trip. We'd see the countryside, stop and do some cool educational things along the way, like learn how people lived on the frontier, or pick our own fruit. It was a lovely image I had in my head of us all eating fresh peaches we'd just picked while driving along and pointing out cows and other animals and learning how to build a log cabin.

The best laid schemes of mice and men
Go often askew,
And leave us nothing but grief and pain,
For promised joy!

The reality was oh so different.

It rained like a mother dog almost the whole day. When we dropped off TheKnave, we had to walk to three separate buildings to register, check in, and settle him in the dorms and by the time that was done, we were all soaked from head to toe. The Dormouse looked like a wet noodle and The Caterpillar just kept walking around holding her arms away from the sides of her dress that was dripping puddles onto the floor. So when I went out to a discount store and waded through the three inches of water in the parking lot to purchase the sheets and towels that TheKnave had forgotten to pack, I also bought dry outfits for the girls. But by the time I got back to the dorm, the storm had gotten worse, so once I dressed them in the dry clothes, they lasted pretty much only as long as it took to walk out to the car once they were dressed. It was too wet and muddy to stop at any of the pick your own fruit farms we had seen on the way out. We did stop at the Frontier Culture Museum, that was my ace in the hole, but the gift shop people informed us that the entire contents of the museum were outside and didn't even encourage us to purchase tickets. "Oh no, you don't want to go out THERE!" As we drove back, the storm got even worse until I finally had to pull the car off the road because I couldn't see anything. But that was fine too because every ten minutes we had to stop SOMEwhere to find a bathroom for little girls who could not coordinate their bladder functions. So that bring us to a grand total of... oh... EVERY exit in the Commonwealth of Virgina that we've marked our territory at this week.

Pretty though.