The Dormouse wanted to go outside the other day to enjoy the summer (SUMMER!) weather and we acquiesced, despite the fact that none of the rest of us wanted to go outside with her. So we let her assert her independence and hang out in the yard without an accompanying parent. This may sound like she was unsupervised, but she was actually never out of our presence for more than four minutes. Here's how next half hour really went:

"I'm going outside now."

"OK."

"I think I'll change clothes first."

"OK."

"I want to be dressed appropriately."

"OK."

*enters bedroom, puts on winter boots*

"OK, I'm ready to go outside now."

"OK."

"I'll see you in awhile."

"OK."

"Have a good time."

"OK."

"I'll just be in the yard."

"OK."

"Bye."

"Bye."

*finally leaves
*

*door closes*

*two minutes go by*

*door opens*

"I need a glass of water."

"OK."

*leaves with water and door closes*

*one minute goes by*

*door opens*

"I'm going to take a book outside with me."

"OK."

*leaves with book and door closes*

*two minutes pass*

*door opens*

"I need a pillow."

"OK."

*leaves with pillow, door closes*

*one point five minutes pass*

*door opens*

"Where is the umbrella?"

"In the closet."

*gets umbrella, leaves with umbrella, door closes*

KoH: "What do you suppose she's doing with the umbrella?"

Me: "Beats me."

Four minutes actually pass without the door opening, so I get up to make a quick check through the window. This is the scene:



Who needs summer camp?