I am honestly out of ideas about what to write concerning Valentines' Day today and considered just letting the holiday go by like I didn't notice it at all. But while I was up with The Caterpillar watching Jay Leno last night he did one of those "Kids speak out on adult issues" pieces and it inspired me. I decided I'd turn to The Dormouse for answers. I've suppressed the urge to editorialize on her answers and instead will just let them stand on their own. However, I have many thoughts about what follows and learned quite a bit about my daughter's point of view on the world in this process. Maybe everyone should interview their kids once a month. Enjoy this interview -- I know I did.


What is Valentines' Day? Valentines day is very special because it’s about love.

How do you know when you love someone? I feel good.

What is love? It’s a heart.

How do you know when you love someone? Cause they go out and date.

What do people do on a date? They go out to dinner. They have have a camp out sometimes. I've seen ‘em on a show in my head sometimes when I’m sleeping at night. They go to the mall sometimes… on a carousel.

Why do people get married? Because if somebody loves someone, they marry them. That's just how it is.

How old should you be when you get married? Thirty-five.

Where do you want to get married? At the temple.

How long should you know someone before you marry them? About twenty years.

Why so long? So you don’t forget their name.

How many people should come to your wedding? Two.

What song should they play at your wedding? Sings Felix Mendelssohn's "Wedding March": Doooo, doooo do do do do do do do do do do do doooooooo.

Where would you like to go on your honeymoon? To the beach. I would go swimming for my honeymoon and I would go ice skating and roller skating.

After the honeymoon, what do you do? Paint your house.

Why do men give women flowers or chocolate? Flowers!! Ew, ew, ew, I don't like flowers. Patoohey. Heh, heh. Just kidding.

What do you think about kissing? Ew Ew Ew Ew. I’m not kidding about that.

When you are thirty five and you get married will you have children? Yes.

How many kids will you have? Three.

What will you wear when you get married? I will wear a little necklace that goes criss cross all the way down and I’m gonna wear little dots on my top and one flower in the middle and some dots and lines and zig zags and I’m gonna draw a garden and that’s it.

What will your husband wear? Black clothes with a flower in his pocket.

How can you tell your parents love each other? Because they got married and they went out for dates before they got married.

When is it okay to kiss someone? I don’t know… I guess when you’re not sick.

What is falling in love like? It feels like loving one another.

What do you want to get for Valentine's Day? Valentine Cookies.

Good thing... because that's what I got her.