For the past three years or so, every time a fire truck drives by with sirens blaring, wherever we may be, The Dormouse suddenly becomes inappropriately excited, jumping up and down and screaming at the top of her lungs:

"EEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! I saw it. I saw it! I SAAAAW IIIIIT!!!

"I SAW SANTA'S SLEIGH."

It's actually a little embarrassing.

But the reason she equates a fire engine with Santa's sleigh can be easily explained. Here's what came down our street last night:



One of the things I like best about my neighborhood (one of the only things I like about my neighborhood) is the volunteer fire department that is close by. Long before they saved our house from burning down, they endeared themselves to me and mine by doing this each year. They drive through the neighborhood with sirens blaring and Santa atop the hook and ladder truck, while the other members of the department hang off the back of the engines and hop down to run up to the kids in their yards and hand them a candy cane.

I love firemen.