Much like bird watchers have their life lists, I have a life list of buildings. Many of these buildings, I've seen, but in my weird little OCD world, I don't get to check them off until I photograph them for definitive proof. The Chrysler Building in New York is one of those buildings that I've seen several times, but never been with a decent camera when I was near it.

I love Art Deco style and this building is such a perfect example of it, that you just can't go wrong. It's also one of the most mistreated buildings in New York. When The Chrysler Building was first completed, it stood as the tallest building in New York City... for eleven months... until the Empire State Building was finished. (Unlike the Empire State Building, however, no one had to die to complete it.) Then it was demoted to the second tallest building. It held it's ranking there for about forty years until the World Trade Center was completed and bumped it down to number three. We all know how that ended. So in 2001, the Chrysler Building regained it's second place status, under circumstances I'm sure it never would have wanted. It stayed there for a mere six years, when the spire on the Bank of America Tower was raised and the little building that could was moved back to third place. That same year, the New York Times Building was completed at exactly the same height, causing Chrysler to now share it's place at third. Poor little dumped on Chrysler. One day it's going to just up and move to another city like Topeka, where it will be appreciated, declaring "You won't have the Chrysler Building to kick around anymore."

Because the rules for traveling with Monica are simple, when I woke up earlier than most humans should one morning while we were in New York last week and couldn't go back to sleep, I grabbed my camera and sneaked off to let her sleep. I realized we were near the Turtle Bay area so I wandered off to find the Chrysler Building by myself. This also served to keep from boring my traveling companion with my habit of incessantly wandering around a block multiple times to capture every possible angle of a single building that simply is not going to change when I get back to the front. But that seventy-fifth photo? That might just be THE ONE. So you better take a few more.

Because I could never choose just one, here are my favorite few photos of one of my favorite buildings.


The iconic view.


The front entrance.

I waited forever for that damn bus to move, but apparently, the driver was taking a nap.

From down the street.


Looking up.

I think it's so interesting how skyscrapers look like completely different buildings when you're standing next to them.

Corner detail.

Am a big fan of not putting anachronistic gargoyles on modern buildings.

Looming above.


Reflected.


My architect historian friend Mr. Google just informed me that you can actually tour the Chrysler Building. Now I have to go back.