I tried all day yesterday to come up with something meaningful/poignant/halfway intelligent to write about on the subject of the anniversary it marked. Finally I gave up and posted what I posted, preferring instead to appear to ignore the issue altogether rather than force something out that wasn't going to say what I wanted it to say. Later, as I was driving along under a cloud-covered sky on the Interstate with the Dormouse in tow, I happened to see this guy and managed to snap a badly exposed picture with my camera phone.

There was a lot of talk in the media yesterday about September 11th, memorials, General Petraeus' report, remembrances, plans for the future, blame... etc., etc, repeat ad nauseum. We all have mixed feelings about what's going on in this country: whether it was right, whether it was handled right, whether it should continue. I don't think I've spoken with two people who think and feel exactly the same way - there's just so much to take in and consider. There are a lot of things that I don't agree with that happen here. It's not a perfect system by any means.

But I still manage to feel like this guy about my birthplace most days: