Last week, we met up with Monica and baby Marielle for a children's concert/Celtic diversity lesson/storytelling experience in Baltimore. I'm finally getting around to taking the pictures off my camera from that.

Oh and by the way, since when does an infant need to buy a ticket??? Even to a children's concert? C'mon! We stifled the urge to protest with the ticket taker - me with: "It's not like she's taking up a seat.", and Monica with: "She can't hear it anyway!" - and shelled out $12 for Mari to pretty much ignore the whole thing.

This was also the concert where they put microphones in the aisles and encouraged the children in attendance to ask questions, which was hilarious. One kid asked the drummer where he could get a drum like this:


and how he could learn to play it. The drummer explained to the audience that the drum comes from a land in the Far East and you could get one too if you went to a place called "Google" (I'm thinking some of the parents may be trying to purchase plane tickets to Google even as we speak) and if he wanted lessons to "see me after the show".

One kid asked the harpist if the harp was easy or hard to play. She said that it was one of the easiest instruments to play at first because all you had to do was strum the strings and you got a sound. Then another kid challenged her: "You said it was easy to play... but I see like HUNDREDS OF STRINGS!!!" She ate crow and admitted, yes, it was rather difficult to play well.

The Dormouse desperately wanted to ask a quest
ion, but I knew better. I made her tell me what the question was that she wanted to ask first. She said, "I wanted to ask about my tights and my skirt."

"What about them?"

".....

Aren't they pretty?"

She was incensed that I wouldn't let her go to the microphone for that. Go figure. Instead, I let her talk to the musicians who were in the lobby after the s
how, where this exchange took place:

Me whispering: "Tell her what you liked about the music."

Dormouse: "I liked the music!"

Storyteller lady: "Why thank you! Do you want to learn to play an instrument someday?"

D: "I already do."

SL: "Really? What instrument do you play?"

D: "I play the piano. I go to piano class.... it's called... 'Piano Class'."

SL: "Well, that seems like a good name for it."

Hey, it's as intelligent a conversation as some of the ones my husband has had with fellow musicians.

This photo was taken when The Dormouse desperately wanted to hold baby Mari. About three seconds after the camera clicked, baby Mari was headed for a face to face meeting with the carpet. I am amused by the look on her face, which seems to say, "I am not your toddler toy substitute! Now give me back to the source of my food, please."

At least she didn't put her in the cat carrier.