This Spring, the Shortlings planted some mimosa pudica seeds. The first time I ever saw this plant was a few years ago at Monticello in Thomas Jefferson's garden.  The Monticello people called it a Sensitive Plant but a neighborhood kid once told me she grew up calling it a Touch Me Not, which I think is also funny.  Wikipedia tells me it's also called a Sleepy Plant.  The KingofHearts told the kids about this plant and they were fascinated, so he ordered some seeds online and they planted them in a pot outside our front door.

Here's why it got its name(s):




What I didn't know about the sensitive plant was that it blooms. Adorable, tiny, purple blooms that are about the size of a marble.  They remind me of Horton Hears a Who and whenever I pass by to go to my car in the morning I subconsciously listen for voices. To date, I have heard none.  

But still, I listen. Because a person's a person, no matter how small.