I find it interesting now that The Caterpillar is able to express herself more fully, the number of conversations I have with her that throw me into déjà vu-land. And now, thanks to the wonders of keeping a running blog of navel gazing for the past five years or so, I know why. I probably have had this conversation before... with another three year old.

Consider this:

Caterpillar: "Momma, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Me: *stumped, really* "Well, I guess I am all grown up now."

"But what do you want to BE when you grow up?"

"I don't know, honey. I guess I'd like to keep playing music and doing creative things and I guess I'm a momma and that's probably the best thing I could be." (Can't you just feel the apathy I have about my job right now?)

"That's not good enough."

"Uh... OK... why's that?"

"I think you should be a tractor."

"Well, what do you want to be when you grow up?"

"The Statue of Liberty."


I suppose it's better than a flagpole.